Tag Archive for 'RIAA'

The Lawsuit, Shutdown, and Aftermath

This is the final article in my three part series about building Audiogalaxy. If you haven’t already, you may want to read part one and part two first.

2002
By 2002, things were going along quite nicely from a technology standpoint. Running the C backend on the hardware we had purchased for the Java version meant we were very much below our capacity, and we made it past 1 million simultaneous clients. I was pleased that I had learned the right lessons from V1 and designed a solid architecture.

I was also feeling good about the other major service I looked after — search. Audiogalaxy had sponsored my senior engineering project for UT in 2000 — a high performance MySQL indexing service. That, combined with a caching service I built in 2001, had solved the search problem. We were handling 80 million page views every day, most of them searches.

Continue reading ‘The Lawsuit, Shutdown, and Aftermath’